Dark Dorset Online Scrapbook is an archive of current and past events relating to local history, folklore and mysteries that can be discovered in the English county of Dorset.

Search the Dark Dorset Scrapbook Archive

Sunday, 28 June 2009

Peter Bowles's heaven on earth: Wessex

Peter Bowles describes how he is inspired by the ancient sites and countryside of Wessex in southern England. I love the part of southern England that once comprised the Kingdom of Wessex.

When I was a bit younger I used to get up at about five in the morning or earlier and drive down to Silbury Hill – the tallest prehistoric man-made mound in Europe – from London and climb to the top in time to see dawn breaking.

Another favourite spot is Maiden Castle in Dorset – the largest and most complex Iron Age hill fort in Britain, which has the most fantastic earthworks.

The views from both are amazing. Plus, I've always been fascinated by these ancient sites and sometimes, when I was restless and depressed as a younger man, I would find going up them quite inspirational. Often I'd be the only person around.

READ MORE - Source: The Telegraph 28th June 2009

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit our website