From the 14th to the 16th of August this year, the sleepy North Devon village of Woolsery is to play host to the largest gathering of monster and mystery researchers in the world. The tenth annual Weird Weekend is bringing speakers from as far afield as Australia to talk on their adventures and discoveries.
This year’s line up includes Rat Scabies, drummer with the legendary punk band The Damned, who will be regaling the audience with tales of his hunt for the Holy Grail (we are NOT joking). Tim the Yowie Man has flown in all the way from Australia to speak about his hunt for the yowie, the yeti like ape-man of the Australian bush. Tim the Yowie Man is an Australian cryptozoologist and paranormal investigator. In 2008, he was nominated for `Australian of the Year` for his work in raising environmental awareness.
Other speakers include:
- Irish scholar Ronan Coghlan will be speaking on the lost continent of Atlantis.
- Tim Matthews on crop circles
- Andy Roberts: Renowned researcher and author, on The Big Grey man of Ben McDhui
- Ecologist Oll Lewis will be giving us his theory on the Kraken, the multi-armed monster of maritime folklore.
- Julian Vane will be showing us some of the weirder exhibits from Devonshire museums.
- Dr Jan Bondeson will be revealing the secrets of the death dealing medieval serpent known as the basilisk.
- From the USA Nick Redfern will be looking into Russian experiments to hybridise humans and apes.
Also appearing will be Sam Shearon; fortean artists who will be exhibiting their monster related artwork. Taxidermist and Dorset Naturalist Jonathan McGowan will be exhibiting his wildlife photography and stuffed animals. There will also be stalls, quizzes, competitions and activities for children.
Venue: Woolsery sports and community hall
For more details, or to interview any of the speakers, please telephone Jon, Corinna or Oll on 01237 431413